Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Byron Bay/Middle Reef Beachouse

BYRON BAY

kicked off the back of the bike in Byron Bay...


Sandy and I made it to our destination after 1,650k (1,030miles) or about 20 hours on the motorbike - thank you my partner Sandy! He leaves for his week long meditation class and I am off to find a place to stay...

I found a great place to stay in Byron Bay - the MIDDLE REEF BEACHOUSE - clean and quiet with great people and enough food in the 'free food cupboard' to keep me going

the first thing I did the next day was take a walk through town and then down/up this railroad track - getting away from the tourist shops and just out in the vegetation and quiet with birds everywhere and a few sugarcane fields around - it truly is almost rain forest here - lush and green and wet





later exploring the coastline and beaches - walking the coast and up to the lighthouse










WILD FORAGING - WARRIGAL GREEN FIND!

funny to find some wild spinach right here along the tourist beach part of Byron Bay - but here it is right at the base of this big tree next to the boardwalk - I pick some and it will be yummy dinner for me - steamed with the rice that I found at the hostel








yummy dinner!
















I walked all the way up to this lighthouse - the most eastern point in the whole of Australia and some amazing views













I walked down the railroad tracks to visit the SEED SAVERS NETWORK