Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Tailem Bend/Luc's place

May 9th I took a bus - $46 - from Wilmington to Adelaide - about a 3-4 hour ride where I met up with a good friend of Lyle's, Luc Van DeGoor - who helped Lyle build his house. Luc was working in Adelaide and gave me a ride to his beautiful house in Tailem Bend.

TAILEM BEND

is about an hour and a half east of Adelaide - 96k
and to get there we cross the MURRAY RIVER on a little car ferry raft



MURRAY RIVER



Luc's great stone house - he built this himself

I was only at Luc's house 4 days, but could have stayed here a very, very long time - a beautiful place and great company



This was a great place to sit out at Luc's place - drinking coffee, looking at books, and with a great view of the Murray River right in front of me. Luc has a beautiful home - he built it with stones using the slipform method that is shown in this book...






Luc planted trees, trees and more trees...





walking to the river just down the hill from Luc's house




It is Luc's birthday and get ready, we are going for a boat ride on the Murray River - paddle, paddle and enjoy the quiet water!





pipe sucking up the Murray River for water usage - Luc's neighbor had to recently move the pipe out further into the river to be able to get enough water - results of the river levels being so low











Luc and his house and windmill behind him - we dug holes to plant new trees all along this path - I think 16 to 18 holes to plant red gums - his windmill he uses to pump water from the river to his house








The lot next door to Luc's place was abandoned and we found this beautiful and very massive clump of prickly pear cacti - all a bit prickly, but all very edible - I had never cooked it before so now was the time - I harvested a bit of the plant and the fruit and made birthday dinner for Luc - dinner and dessert...







sauted cacti with garlic, soy sauce and pumpkin seeds



cacti fruit cut up with fresh apples







nice fire on Luc's birthday








Luc and I picking olives - and washing, slicing. Luc's method is to slice each olive, and soak in water for 10 days changing the water twice a day, then put in brine or brine and oil, and ready in 6 months.









we filled up Luc's hat and more



























One day Luc dropped me off in Tailem Bend and I walked from Tailem Bend to Luc's house, about 5k or so. It was a beautiful walk, very quiet, along the Murray River at dusk to sundown.











Reading one of Luc's books: Primitive Hunters A Search For Man The Hunter
by Jan Jelinger published in 1989

and I found this bit on page 181 that I really liked - talking about the Bushmen of Africa -

survival is based on complete familiarity
with the local habitat,
on knowledge of food sources,
on aquaintance with the plant
and animal world,
and on the ability to make
maximum use of these
in the simplest way
without the development
of a more complete technology







The last night I stayed at Luc's house I cooked dinner on his wood stove in his beautiful kitchen - Luc makes soy milk every week and did not know what to do with the leftover crushed soybeans - he usually composts them - I asked if I could take on the challenge of finding something to cook using them - so away I went - I jumped on his computer and found several recipes - I chose CURRIED RICE SOY CAKES because I knew that he had leftover brown rice as well



CURRIED RICE SOY CAKES







2 other books of Luc's that I really enjoyed looking at...